05 July 2008

This, please.

I've realized that it could be a problem that I don't speak Vietnamese. As such, I've been cramming. Between the youtube instruction, my phrasebook/dictionary, and the recently discovered "Learn Vietnamese" podcasts, I'm making a little progress. I have down some of the essentials: "hello" and "goodbye" (they're the same), "please", "this/that please", "Where's the bathroom?", "Can you Speak English?" "I don't understand" and "thank you". The tones are even harder to master than I imagined! Especially the one that goes up and down in the same syllable. It throws me off every time! And unfortunately it's right in the middle of "Where's the bathroom?" I'm a little bummed that there's no conjugation in Vietnamese. The verbs never change form--you just add a word before the verb it indicate tense. I guess it's easier this way, but I sure love conjugating.

The language struggles are accompanied by a couple other difficulties. While going through luggage the other day, I realized that it was finally time to throw out my suitcase that had a hole in the bottom from when I dragged it a couple kilometers along dirt path in Madrid. (Long story, but it ended with me getting lost and asking prostitutes for directions). It was a loyal, sturdy suitcase--even with the hole--and it got me through London, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, the Mayer tour last summer, and a New Year's trip to Seattle and the Sand Juan Islands. Too bad it couldn't make it to Vietnam.

I also had my first big goodbye yesterday, to my dear friend Corey. She's moving to Seattle in the next few days to work with the City Year Program. We're both going off on our own adventures, and we're excited, but it's always hard saying goodbye. She's a girl after my own heart, though--branching out in the world, settling alone in a new town, doing a lot of work for not a lot of money. :) Ah, kindred spirits.

In Fulbright news, I haven't received my VISA yet and I'm starting to get worried. Also, there was a conference call on Tuesday with our supervisor in Vietnam. I finally got to talk to some other Fulbrighters, which was exciting. And I learned that during the month of orientation, five of us will be staying at the university and the other five at a nearby hotel.

Right now I miss living at my own university. I have to admit it: I miss school. I miss living downtown. I miss the routine. I miss the work, even. Maybe I'm just having a bout of "small town fever". This condition is further evidenced by the fact that today when Sam told me the "good news" that they would be touring in Spain next summer--he thought I would be excited-- I immediately started crying. It was a reflex reaction, partly due to cabin fever and partly (mostly) due to a pang of sadness. I miss Spain every single day. Part of me belongs and needs to be there.

Maybe this time next year I'll feel the same way about Vietnam.....

Lastly, here's what my stalking of Sam has turned up recently. They're at a festival in Germany here:

1 comment:

mythopolis said...

You are going to be just fine. I know this. Don't ask how, cuz it is classified. But this limbo period, so to speak, is getting to you maybe. I have every confidence in you, and how all this will play out. I am just sitting in the audience, waiting for the curtains to part., it makes me jittery too. But, "break a leg, baby!"