02 August 2008

Hello, Viet Nam.

Just a quick note to say that I'm safely in my hotel in Hanoi. I'm using "borrowed" wifi, so the connection is poor, but I think the girl at the hotel desk said that they will be getting internet in five days. I'm really wishing I'd learned more Vietnamese before I got here.

The day, albeit long (I got up about 34 hours ago), could not have gone more smoothly. I concentrated/meditated/prayed for "acceptance" during this journey--accepting whatever might happen, good or bad, and just going with it--and it seems to have helped. Not that anything especially bad happened. I did leave my scarf on my last flight, but a lady working at the airport got it back for me. My cab driver did have to stop three times for directions to my hotel, but I had plenty of faith in him and he ultimately got me here in one piece (an outcome that seemed questionable at times!). The Vietnamese are so generously friendly. Another Fulbright-er arrived at the hotel at the same time as I did, too! I could have hardly asked for a better day of international travel.

The hotel isn't the Hilton--or even the Holiday Inn for that matter--but I'm comfortable and just happy to be here. Arriving in a new city is such a magical moment....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy you made it there safely. Stay that way! Love you from afar

Anonymous said...

sweet dreams Mallory....more adventures when you wake up....more opportunities for accpetance...JD