26 September 2008

It's Electric!

I just taught the electric slide to 20 Vietnamese students in the lobby of a classroom building. I'm wondering where, exactly, were "dance lessons" included in my contract? I'm assuming somewhere in the small print, under the heading "Boogie Woogie Woogie Woogie". And right beside "Singing for Large Groups of People".

While my students are learning the Electric Slide (did I mention I hate that dance?), I'm learning a few more practical things. For example, how to wake up the house manager to let you in the building at midnight or later. They lock my building with a padlock from the inside at around 11pm, so there's no other choice but to knock on the window or rattle the door until the poor guy drags himself out of bed. It would be more logical, I feel, to put a regular lock on the door and give a key to all the residents, but I dont think I have a say in the matter.

I've also learned that the Yasaka hotel, a little 4-star joint in the city, has poor security and the following amenities: free bike parking, two beautiful swimming pools (including one on a roof that overlooks the sea), a bar on the roof of the 11th floor (also overlooking the sea), and nice Western-style toilets in the lobby.

I've learned that this city changes after midnight. The other evening, I was on my way home and passed a large group of men in camoflauge emerging from the brush along the shore; they were carrying big clubs and seemed to be looking for something or someone. I biked more quickly and hoped they wouldn't stop to ask why, exactly, I was coming home so late by myself. Then, last night, I'm pretty sure I passed several groups of people doing drugs. One guy yelled "Lady, I love you!" as I peddled by....

And I've learned that lying on the beach at night, looking up at the stars, with no other company than a cup of bubble tea and my bike, is about as close to bliss as you can get.

1 comment:

mythopolis said...

Would you teach me the electric slide too?