08 September 2008

The Stopping Power of Water

Monsoon season is here, and it's not fucking around. It has literally rained for two nights and days without stop, and will continue to do so for the next three months or so. Maybe a day of sun here and there. I can't exactly get my head around it. And I definitely didn't bring proper shoes for it.

I stayed in for most of the day, but I finally mustered the courage to leave the building when Katherine invited me to get che across the street. I walked down the road, but ultimately refused to go into the cafe because there was a river of several inches of standing water in front of it and I didn't want to completely ruin my shoes. This, John Mearsheimer, is the stopping power of water, a phenomenon that applies to more than just great power politics.

Luckily Katherine got the che to go. Che is a pretty broad term for a variety of drink-like treats. In Hanoi I had one with lots of fruit and grass jelly in a sweet juice of some sort. Today, it had black beans, white beans, tapioca, plantain bananas and coconut milk with ice. So tasty, and healthy too! It was worth trudging out in the rain, and definitely worth the 4000 dong (about 25 cents).

Other than trekking out for dinner in the pouring rain--Katherine and I were starving, and Steve needed dinner too--I've been inside all day. I guess I'm just going to have to get used to being damp for the next few months.

I did manage to do some laundry today (there's a washer downstairs) and discovered that while I won't be riding my new bike much during the rainy season, it will still get some use as a drying rack.


I finally met some of the other residents of the building, too! I ran into a few today while I was taking out the trash. There are some Vietnamese, some Chinese, a couple guys from Bangladesh. Then, tonight, night there was a knock on my door. I answered to find a guy that I'd never met before. Without introducing himself or anything, he asked me if I was free and if I could come upstairs to talk with him and his friends. He said that the atmosphere of the building was "boring" because everyone was just in their rooms closed doors. And without further information, Katherine and I were swept upstairs and suddenly found ourselves sitting in some girls' room, eating sesame candy and chum chum, and chatting with two Vietnamese girls, a few vietnamese guys and the two guys from Bangladesh. A little strange at first, but ultimately fun and informative. I'm excited about new friends, and I like this multiculturalism! At one point we were comparing the status of unwed mothers in our respective countries. In America, it's not a big deal. In Vietnam, it's still kind of shameful but much less so than in the past. In Bangladesh, the woman is beaten by her family.

The best news of the day is that I will be hosting a Full Moon Celebration in my room on Sunday! My friend Duan asked me tonight if he could organize the celebration in my room, and although I was hesitant at first, I came to senses and agreed. OF COURSE I will host a Full Moon Celebration! Apparently it will be Sunday night, and it will involve flying lanterns, games, and lots of new friends. Horray for full moons in Viet Nam!


Currently listening: Nick Drake, Pink Moon

3 comments:

mythopolis said...

Ooh...what is the common footwear among the native population during monsoon? Do the rains rise and fall? Is it stormy? Or just endless steady rain? First full moon of the monsoon sounds like a reason to party, for sure. I wonder is there some local history re this, like the Harvest moon here. That it is something special. Something to celebrate. I have so many questions all of a sudden. Like what are common folk instruments like in Vietnam? And what is the maker's mark or brand of your bike?

Anonymous said...

In your domitary; there are many exciting thing; You take many friend come from many nations. What do you feel about Che in Nha Trang. In my homtown - Hue city where have many kind of trapical che. It is very good. such as: Chè Hạt Sen; Chè đậu đen; chè trôi nước; chè hẽm. I things; in sunday is a beautiful sunday again to celebrate on fool moon. I hope that raining is stop and we can go uot to take fly lantermt.

mythopolis said...

It is really wonderul that you provide this glimpse into this daily adventure of yours. It is so personal and intermingled with info re the culture, I love to read your stories!!! d