04 December 2008

Another reason to eat less meat.


True, when I stopped eating meat about 11 years ago, I wasn't thinking about the environment. I was thinking that meat was pretty gross. Who wants to eat dead animal? Ew. Furthermore, I didn't want to think about animal slaughtering. Blegh.

Now, though, environmental concerns constitute the heart of my vegetarianism. It seems that as years pass I've become a bit more militant about my vegetarianism, as well, and as soon as I can ween myself off cheese I'll become a vegan. In the mean time, it's increasingly clear that one of the biggest ways that individuals can reduce their carbon footprint is to eat less meat (and in my case, less dairy). Meat production generates 18% of greenhouse gasses--more than cars, buses and airplanes.

The head of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has suggested that people eat less meat in an effort to curb greenhouse gas emissions and climate change. This is a call, then, to skip that hamburger, steak, pork chop or chicken salad a couple times a week. I promise--it's easy!

Read more here. I could go on and on about this but I'll let the New York Times do it for me. :)


Currently listening: Chet Baker

1 comment:

mythopolis said...

I think its inevitable we will become increasingly vegetarian..scarcity of land for grazing animals is resulting in confined pens of force-fed diets and un-natural lives....chickens?...don't even get me started...its hard to shake the old ways...(especially when getting old like me)..but I do hear you. Sam, J. and I had a veggie lunch today!