14 December 2008

Hoi An

After a few days in Danang with the Fulbright gang, I came to Hoi An with Keith, Becca and Jahmila. I've been here for two and a half days, and I'm feeling like I could stay forever. This town is magical, with clear Chinese, Japanese and French influences. A river runs through the city, and old men and women in conical hats attempt to hawk boat rides to passing tourists. At night, the water is dotted with the glow of romantic street lights. The "Old Town" area is mainly pedestrian, offering a welcomed break from motorcycles and their attendant honking. Somehow, Hoi An has struck a balance between preservation and tourism, the latter of which has no doubt funded some of the preservation. The town is a UN World Heritage Site. Old villas along the river house patisseries, restaurants, quaint bars and modern ones. The outlying beach has yet to be overcome with resorts. But they're on their way. In a few years, this city will most likely be another sprawling tourist metropolis. I guess that means I should move here before that happens? :)

Our three days here have been some of my best in this country. Wandering around the Old Town, eating delicious food (western and vietnamese), and yesterday renting bikes and riding a few miles out the beach, exploring the countryside, hopping over to an island off the coast....

I think I can get here from Nha Trang on an overnight bus for just a few dollars, so I'm already planning my next visit.

In the mean time, I'm heading back to Danang with everyone. Keith is catching a flight to HCMC, Jahmila lives in Danang, and Becca and I will take a train northbound. I'll hop off at Hue, and she'll go home to Dong Hoi, where I'll meet her in a few days.

So far my trip has been better than expected, and judging by the rest of of my time here, I bet that trend will continue.

Another update from the next city.


Currently listening: the sounds of Hoi An at 6am.

1 comment:

mythopolis said...

Cool post! So much to absorb...you seem good at keeping a grip...music is trippy. love, d.